Cover design by TonyB
Tales From The Tripside
Back in 2003, near the end of our run producing Trip - The Journal of Psychedelic Culture
, we produced a drug-oriented sketch comedy DVD, featuring some of Seattle's best sketch comedians and actors. Here's how we promoted it at the time:
Tales From The Trip Side is the most brain-bending psychedelic sketch comedy DVD you will ever experience. In sketch after demented sketch, the staff of Trip magazine takes you on a preposterous, irreverent joyride, where no one is free from their blazing satirical gaze - especially themselves! Join the Drug Scouts of America! Play the exciting game show "Acid or Strychnine"! Support the Multidisciplinary Association for Getting High! Watch the fantastic new comedy, "The Junkees"! Shot on a budget of approximately twenty-five cents, using equipment salvaged from dumpsters or stolen from junior high kids, and featuring all the production values and attention to detail you'd expect from a posse of drug-addled maniacs who normally produce magazines, Tales From The Trip Side is the "archaic revival" of psychedelic comedy - it's SNL for acidheads, ravers, stoners, and drug geeks!
The DVD sold out in a hurry (to be fair, it was a boutique print run), but thanks to the miracle of YouTube, you can now experience this madness for yourself. I wrote and directed the thing, with a few sketch suggestions from others thrown in for good measure; and you'll see both me and my lovely wife (hint: check out "Entheoporn") appearing in the ensemble, as well as Trip
publisher James Kent. Dig it!
- 1. Tripside Introduction - And so begins the infamous drug comedy DVD Tales From The Tripside - as we take a look behind the scenes at how issues of the old school print zine Trip (the Journal of Psychedelic Culture) was produced.
- 2. BTTBOTHIHKAL - Learn more about the latest in the ...I Have Known And Loved series of books!
- 3. Good Old-Fashioned LSD - LSD - it'll cure what ails ya!
- 4. I Learned It By Watching You - A classic anti-drug commercial takes a turn for the weird.
- 5. Drugged Thoughts 1 - And now it's time for Drugged Thoughts, with James Kent.
- 6. BedSafe - Harm reduction has never been more annoying!
- 7. Good Old-Fashioned Magic Mushrooms - Magic mushrooms - just like grandma used to grow!
- 8. Drug Scouts Of America - Get your nitrous appreciation badge, or your badge in ground control, with a troupe in the Drug Scouts of America!
- 9. The Unreal World - Reality TV meets high dose psychedelic mayhem!
- 10. Inhalant Bar - Forget cigars and scotch - inhalants are the new hipster vice!
- 11. Moulin Rouge 2 - This story is about truth, love, beauty, and above all else, flesh-eating zombies!
- 12. Betty Stoner's Pot Brownies - What could be more delicious?
- 13. Drugged Thoughts 2 - And now it's time for Drugged Thoughts, with James Kent.
- 14. Multidisciplinary Association For Getting High - Help us to help YOU in the critically important effort to get high.
- 15. Good Old-Fashioned Ecstasy - Find the ecstasy in every situation!
- 16. The Sneeze - Sneezing and snorting don't mix!
- 17. Kenny GHB - And now it's time for the smooth jazz sounds of Kenny GHB.
- 18. Thorazine The Clown - Thorazine - it's not just for tranquilizing crazy people anymore.
- 19. You're Soaking In ItAnother classic commercial gone horribly wrong.
- 20. Good Old-Fashioned Crystal Meth - Ignore sleep, your friends, and a normal life - try crystal meth!
- 21. The Drug Fairy - What do you mean, you haven't heard of The Drug Fairy?
- 22. Maniacal Laughter - Yep, something's funny.
- 23. The Junkees - They're too busy seeking their personal oblivion to put anybody down!
- 24. Drugged Thoughts 3 - And now it's time for Drugged Thoughts, with James Kent.
- 25. Good Old-Fashioned Ketamine - Make "special K" a part of your family breakfast!
- 26. We Could Put On A Play - Hijinks ensue when James Kent and the staff of Trip magazine get tired of the publishing racket, and decide to put on a psychedelic musical.
- 27. Weed - It's What's For Dinner - Don't forget you can eat it too!
- 28. Entheoporn - Call 1-900-LSD-MDMA today!
- 29. Bobby Tortellini - And now it's time for that master of comedy, Mr. Bobby Tortellini!
- 30. The "X" Files - Paranormal investigators confront empathogenic bliss!
- 31. Good Old-Fashioned DMT - It's like having your own theme park, right inside your head!
- 32. Honey, I Shot The Kids - Just in time for the holidays, it's a family comedy that everyone will enjoy!
- 33. Helpless Speed Addict - We've secretly replaced this helpless speed addict's next fix with a heaping dose of drain cleaner. Let's see if he notices the difference!
- 34. Acid Or Strychnine - And now it's time for everyone's favorite game show - Acid or Strychnine!
- 35. Mathematician To The Stars - Whenever a brainless celebrity needs number theory problems solved with discretion, you can count on Brick Hanson, "Mathematician To The Stars"!
- 36. Okay... - So these two guys walk into a bar...
- 37. Good Old-Fashioned Radioactive Waste - You'll be surprised how you ever lived without it... and you won't last long WITH it!
- 38. Drugged Thoughts 4 - And now it's time for Drugged Thoughts, with James Kent.
- 39. Special-G... Or Special-DEAD? - You've probably never heard of it, but your children undoubtedly have, and you can bet they know more than they're telling you about a dangerous new drug called 2T-C-special-G.
- 40. Partnership For A Free Drug AmericaImagine a world where top quality drugs are delivered to your door... free of charge!
You must be logged-in to post comments.